Microsoft Data Engineer and Applications Support
1Tech Staffing Limited
The BES Group are the leading end to end solution provider in the Testing, Inspection, Certification and Compliance sector. Our team of experts (hand-picked by our Careers Team) cover an extensive range of engineering services.
We’ve gone from strength to strength over recent years, welcoming the very best risk management businesses to our Group. As a result, we’ve grown both our team of experts and our suite of solutions in line with our customer’s needs. We’re private equity backed, which means we have the flexibility and support to move quickly and grow faster than any other company in our industry. We’re innovative and forward thinking and have the awards to prove it, but most of all we’re focused on helping make sure our customers leave nothing to chance.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Data Engineering and BI team, in a role that will allow you to both apply and grow your skills through the delivery of data and insights to help drive change in all areas of our business. You will form a key part of the team to continually improve our Microsoft Azure based strategic data platform, from managing our integrations and wrangling data from Dynamics 365 to producing dashboards for key business decisions and supporting predictive analysis projects.
We are looking for a candidate with perhaps some commercial experience in a BI or Data Engineering with Database Administration experience supporting multiple applications / end points, who are vested in Microsoft technology, with proactive improvement and customer orientated mindset looking to grow their business and technical experience.
What will I be doing?
You will own the development and implementation of data and reporting solutions, integrations between applications and provide database administration working closely with our IT DevOps Team. You will do this using the latest Microsoft technologies: SQL Server Integration Services Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Analysis Services, Azure Data Lake, Azure SQL Database, Azure Data Factory and Power BI (both dashboards and paginated reports)
Taking responsibility for the successful completion of our daily data processing routines and schedules and working with the wider development team to ensure that performance is maximised and sustained while providing high availability, scalability, and optimum performance for database servers through the setup, upgrade, migration, and installation of appropriate hardware.
You will lead with other key stakeholders the development of a fit for purpose architecture to deliver high availability, scalability, and optimal environments for performant data processing which supplies our reporting and applications to required quality and SLA’s. You will undertake root cause analysis, advising remediation options and if required delivering a solution including delivering any early lifecycle support as needed.
You will work with other members of the team or directly with our business users to understand and document business requirements, evaluate options, research and propose suitable solutions. Using your stakeholder management skills to translate business requirements into design specifications.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- An understanding of how our business operates and use of this knowledge to implement data engineering and application integration solutions
- Working closely with our DevOps team to provide fit for purpose and cohesive environments with appropriate change quality gates and security
- Taking an active role to mature our data process monitoring capability and be proactive in the identification and ensuring remediation is future proofed to remove/significantly reduce recurrence. Lead on performance improvements to support more timely delivery.
- The timely achievement of objectives and success criteria set at the beginning of each project/development activity
- Increased business confidence in and usage of management information as the “single version of the truth” for supporting our business operations
- Reduction in the size of the backlog of data engineering and data quality requests
- Measurable improvement in enterprise data quality
- Contribution of ideas and thinking to our innovation pipeline
What makes BES Group a great place to work?
We genuinely care. It’s basic, human instinct that runs through every person that works at BES Group. Knowing we always do the best job we can with absolutely no compromise means everything.
If you work for us, you will get the below and, so much more:
- A competitive salary from £50,000 (negotiable, depending on experience)
- A flexible working approach, the role will be in our Manchester office with home based working available (you must have suitable Wi-Fi, and provide your own office set up).
- Amazing head offices in the heart of Manchester city centre
- Development opportunities across the business
- Discretionary annual company bonus and yearly salary review
- Shiny new Surface Pro
- Access to lots of discounts and benefits via our company benefits portal including; retail, fitness, holiday and cinema discounts
- The support of a superb employee assistance programme
- Up to 10% pension
What experience do I need?
- Delivery of a modern data platform using relevant technologies and services in Microsoft Azure.
- Proven experience as a Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator; with a good understanding of database standards, end user application integrations, security protocols, development standards and support for deployments of code.
- Strong architectural understanding of standard Microsoft Stack including SQL Server Database Engine and of Microsoft Azure Database components such as Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Managed Instances, and Azure Data Factory
- Expert in T-SQL including stored procedures, temp tables & CTE’s with performance tuning.
- Proficient in the development of SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) solutions and Azure Data Factory
- Demonstrable experience in the use of GIT for CI/CD source control in azure across key areas of the stack
- Proficient in developing cascading, parameterized reports using SQL Server Reporting Service and report development of datasets and reporting in Microsoft Power BI
- Strong understanding of data modelling concepts
- Strong Customer focus, both internal and external with proven experience in gathering low level requirements
- Experience of interpreting and analysing complex data
- Knowledge and a proven track record in data / data quality management
- Code management & deployment tools
- Proficient in debugging, monitoring, tuning and troubleshooting BI solutions.
- Degree (or equivalent Level 6 qualification) in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other technical subject (desirable but not essential)
You will offer:
- Development experience and Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration
- Successful delivery of complex Business Intelligence solutions
- Strong communication skills; both written and oral
- An analytical mindset and an automation first philosophy
- Highly effective and able to take ownership for executing broad range of tasks
- Full stack project delivery experience and ownership; source to report.
- A self-starter and a completer finisher
Ideally, you will also have:
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics 365 (CE or F&O)
- Experience of using Data Bricks or Azure Synapse or an object orientated language
To apply for this role, simply click “Apply”.?We ask for some basic contact information and a CV or your LinkedIn profile, it’s that easy! Please keep in mind, successful candidates will be required to complete the relevant background checks as part of the recruitment process.
We want to inspire everyone to see how important safety is and we expect the same from our people. And if you’re on the same page as us about that and you’ve got the right skills, experience and attitude, you’ll fit right in. Simple. We’re all about diversity and inclusion and that means we want our people to be themselves. We’re delighted to be an equal opportunities employer and that will never change!
BES Group, Your Trusted Advisor.